Friday, September 9, 2011

Jandek - Blue Corpse LP

Jandek, for the most part, has remained a mystery since 1978. Divulging as little information about himself as possible, and refusing to do interviews, most of what is known is really only a best guess. Until recently, no one even knew what he looked like (and even still there is some debate on that). Consistently releasing albums since the late 70's, I'm pretty sure his current discography is at just under 100 releases.

Trying to describe the music is very difficult. The sound does vary from record to record, but I suppose a very crude description would be someone in a uniquely toned delivery method singing over an incorrectly (but correctly to him) tuned guitar. Sometimes it's fast paced, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes there are multiple instruments & guest vocalists, and sometimes there aren't. heck, sometimes it's just spoken word.

One day, I plan to attempt to make a compilation of Jandek material, but that's going to be one hell of an undertaking. What I'm presenting to you today is probably Jandek's best received album, "Blue Corpse". You'll note I made it a point to say "LP" in the header... this is because this is a rip from the original vinyl release and not from one of the later CD reissues. it seems some of Jandek's CDs were edited for various reasons (added parts, added silence, etc.), and while this isn't really a problem in my mind, what is a problem is an apparent use of noise reduction on the master. Basically, the CD sounds like it was source from a very poorly ripped MP3 (IE lots of digital degradation/artifacts). Some say this is exactly how Jandek wants it. Personally, I think it's terrible and am so very thankful I had the LP. I do want to stress that this issue does not affect all of Jandek's releases, so please don't let it put you off from supporting him.

This rip was made from an original vinyl pressing. I was not the original owner, and there is a fair amount of surface noise. However, for an artist like Jandek, I think the crackles & pops only add to the overall feeling of mystery, and definitely adds to the isolated feelings of this particular album.

If you like this album, please do consider ordering a CD or two from Corwood Industries. CDs are only $8, and if you buy 20 or more (any mix), you get 50% off your total order. Also, there are a handful of vinyl reissues available from Jackpot Records, which sound superior to their CD counterparts (at last listen, anyhow... I'll have to further analyze).

So, without further delay... the "Blue Corpse" LP (in FLAC).



Tracklisting:

1. I Passed By The Building
2. C F
3. Variant
4. Part II
5. Your Other Man
6. Long Way
7. Down At The Ballpark
8. Harmonica
9. House Of The Rising Son
10. Only Lover
11. Quinn Boys
12. One Minute

Download Side A
Download Side B

No comments:

Post a Comment